[Mesorah] three consecutive shvas

Jeremy Rosenbaum Simon jeremy.simon at nyu.edu
Fri Aug 20 15:19:22 PDT 2021

Do you mean ben Naftali? And what professor?
Jeremy

On Fri, Aug 20, 2021 at 6:09 PM Yitzchak Gottlieb via Mesorah <
mesorah at lists.aishdas.org> wrote:

> On Aug 20, 2021, at 17:25, Akiva Miller via Mesorah <
> mesorah at lists.aishdas.org> wrote:
>
> The usual rule for two consecutive shvas is that the first is nach and the
> second is na. (Example: nifl'osecha in Modim)
>
> What about when there are three? I don't know if it ever happens in
> Hebrew, but I just found an example in Aramaic:
>

> I heard a lecture a few years ago by a professor at Oxford who mentioned
> that some בן נחמן manuscripts have a few triple shvas.  I have no idea how
> they would be pronounced.
>
> Zuki
> --
> Yitzchak M. Gottlieb
> zukigottlieb at gmail.com
>
> Onkelos' translation of v'laalmana in Devarim 24:19. Shvas are on the
> resh, mem, and lamed. My first guess was to read them nach na na:
> ul-ar-m-l-ta. But then I realized it could also be nach nach na:
> ul-arm-l-ta.
>

> Just wondering if anyone more familiar with Aramaic wants to offer their
> ideas. (And by the way, no puns intended if anyone thinks there's any
> Breslover influence on how I phrased this. Not that there's anything wrong
> with that.)
>
> Akiva Miller

Jeremy R. Simon, MD, PhD, FACEP
Professor of Emergency Medicine at CUMC
Columbia University
Editor, The Routledge Companion to Philosophy of Medicine
*https://www.routledge.com/products/9781138846791
<https://www.routledge.com/products/9781138846791>*