[Mesorah] three consecutive shvas

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 14:24:55 PDT 2021

The usual rule for two consecutive shvas is that the first is nach and the
second is na. (Example: nifl'osecha in Modim)

What about when there are three? I don't know if it ever happens in Hebrew,
but I just found an example in Aramaic: Onkelos' translation of v'laalmana
in Devarim 24:19. Shvas are on the resh, mem, and lamed. My first guess was
to read them nach na na: ul-ar-m-l-ta. But then I realized it could also be
nach nach na: ul-arm-l-ta.

Just wondering if anyone more familiar with Aramaic wants to offer their
ideas. (And by the way, no puns intended if anyone thinks there's any
Breslover influence on how I phrased this. Not that there's anything wrong
with that.)

Akiva Miller