[Mesorah] piyyut / poetry

Mandel, Seth mandels at ou.org
Thu Sep 3 07:09:20 PDT 2020

And the form “piyyut” is a fake form, to make it look as if it were Hebrew. In the old mss., the form is written פייט, which would represent the Hebrew pronunciation of the  Greek word “poet” I.e. something like peh with a qomatz , a glide vowell, and yod with a seghol.
And that was the traditional pronunciation of the word in Yiddish: /PA-yet/.
Words are such very interesting things. They carry in them years, sometimes millennia, of history. Despite the efforts of some grammarians to change them to fit their notions of proper.

---
Sent from Workspace ONE Boxer<https://whatisworkspaceone.com/boxer>