[Mesorah] More examples of the pausal forms not in pause

Mandel, Seth mandels at ou.org
Thu Sep 24 07:59:56 PDT 2020

As we have discussed here, the T'NaKh uses these forms not only at a "pause" (i.e an etnachta or sof posuq), but also in cases of parallelismus membrorum, as the example we mentioned from the 10 Commandments (אַתָּ֣ה׀ וּבִנְךָ֣ וּבִתֶּ֗ךָ עַבְדְּךָ֤ וַאֲמָֽתְךָ֙ וּבְהֶמְתֶּ֔ךָ וְגֵֽרְךָ֖ אֲשֶׁ֥ר בִּשְׁעָרֶֽיךָ׃). Chazal also use the pausal form, regularly in cases of parallelismus membrorum, as in the example from Birkhot Q'ri'as Sh'ma‘,
לקל ברוך נעימות יתּנו, למלך קל חי וקיּים זמירות יאמרו ותושבחות ישמיעו
Another example is from the Yomim Noraim, when we say
  ואז צדּיקים יראו וישמחו, וישרים יעלוזו, וחסידים ברנּה יגילו, ועולתה תקפץ פיה,
In the old mss. of the Mishnah, this is very, very common, much more common than the pausal form at the end of a Mishnah.

Rabbi Dr. Seth Mandel
Rabbinic Coordinator
The Orthodox Union

Voice and Fax (212) 613-8330        e-mail mandels at ou.org

Legal Disclaimer

The contents of this email and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. You must not use or disclose them other than for the purposes for which they were supplied. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by reply email and then delete or destroy all copies of this message and any attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, copying, or storage of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Any privilege or confidentiality pertaining to this email and attachments is not waived by reason of mistaken delivery to you.