[Mesorah] Pitda

Danny Levy danestlev at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 13:11:49 PDT 2020

While reading the Parsha to my family today in the confines of my home, I
wasn't sure whether to read the shva of pitda (39:10) as na or nach.  On
the one hand it apparently follows a short vowel but on the other hand
there is no dagesh kal in the dalet.

As I was using a Breuer Tanach, which does not mark a ga'ya kala by every
long vowel that is followed by a shva na, I wondered whether maybe this is
a chirik gadol that is written chaser (without the yud).  Later I checked
Koren, which marks all the ga'yot kalot, but it is not there either.

So it looks like it must be a shva nach, but why is there no dagesh in the
dalet?

When reading Parshat Hachodesh I was struck by the similarity of our
current situation to our ancestors in Egypt on leil Pesach. May we like
them experience geulah soon.

Danny Levy