[Mesorah] Another kleinigkeit

Mandel, Seth mandels at ou.org
Sun Jul 5 15:33:18 PDT 2020

Depends on what you mean by “word.”
Different, but based on similar bases.
Unless I am mistaken, The Masorah keeps them separate and never says “so many with pasach, so many with qomatz.”  So the Masorah does not consider them the same thing.

---
Sent from Workspace ONE Boxer<https://whatisworkspaceone.com/boxer>

On July 5, 2020 at 5:58:21 PM EDT, Aharon Gal via Mesorah <mesorah at lists.aishdas.org> wrote:
Are the words  “ADONOY” and “ADONAY” are two different words? Or they are same word, but when it refers to HASHEM it comes with a  Komatz?
> On Jul 3, 2020, at 11:53 AM, Zev Sero via Mesorah <mesorah at lists.aishdas.org> wrote:
>
> On 2/7/20 11:28 pm, M. Hamm via Mesorah wrote:
>> Perhaps not, but /Tanach/ has unusual constructions in His honor. /Minchas Shay /IIRC gives His honor as a reason for the /dagesh/ in "/mi kamocha/" in /Az yashir/; and I *seem* to recall reading somewhere that appearing between two copies of His name is why "/mik'dash/", also in /Az yashir/, has a /dagesh/ "/l'sif'eres/".  So maybe /malach///instead of /mal'ach/, too?
>
> That would make sense if it were the other way around.  If the first vowel were a patoch, and the second were *normally* a komatz, it would make sense to change it to a patoch for Divine names so it wouldn't sound like "mal'och".  But since the word is normally "molach", and we're discussing the variant "moloch", the change makes it *closer* to "mal'och" rather than more distinct from it.
>
> --
> Zev Sero            Wishing everyone a *healthy* and happy summer
> zev at sero.name       Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper

Legal Disclaimer

The contents of this email and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. You must not use or disclose them other than for the purposes for which they were supplied. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by reply email and then delete or destroy all copies of this message and any attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, copying, or storage of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Any privilege or confidentiality pertaining to this email and attachments is not waived by reason of mistaken delivery to you.