[Mesorah] Tekiaseinu

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 21:11:23 PDT 2019

My deepest apologies if I've asked this before. It bothers me every year,
and if it's already been answered, I apologize for forgetting.

Short and quick: Does the word "tekiaseinu" mean "our tekiah" in the
singular, or "our tekios" in the plural?

Longer version:

In Rosh Hashana Musaf, after the shofar is blown, we (Nusach Ashkenaz at
least, I don't know about others) say a paragraph beginning "Areshes
S'faseinu". This includes a reference to "kol tekiaseinu", which is
translated very similarly in all my machzorim:

"the sound of our shofar blasts" - ArtScroll
"the sounds of our shofar blasts" - Rabbi Jonathan Sacks
"the voice of our trumpet-blasts" - Hebrew Publishing, c.1940
"l'kol hatekiot she'anu mashmi'im" - Yesod Malchus

My problem is that the word "tekiaseinu" is spelled with a kamatz below the
ayin. It seems to be in the singular, referring to only one particular
shofar blast. When we sing this in shul, my mouth keeps trying to say
"tekioseinu", with a cholam, to refer to the many times that we blew the
shofar, in accordance with how all four translators understand it. But the
Hebrew side of my machzor - and of the several others that I've looked at -
correct me, and show me the singluar form.

Most of my dikduk lists are about verbs, but I did find one online that
confirms my suspicion that "tekiaseinu" is singular, and that if the author
had wanted the plural form, he could have used "tekioseinu" with absolutely
no loss of musical rhythm.
https://milog.co.il/%D7%AA%D7%A7%D7%99%D7%A2%D7%AA%D7%9A/e_9993/%D7%93%D7%A7%D7%93%D7%95%D7%A7
Either way, Section #3 there shows the various possessive forms, including
both "tekiAseinu" and "tekiOseinu".

If that link doesn't work, try this: https://tinyurl.com/y4wk6yfn

Do any of you think that I'm mistaken, that "tekiaseinu" is already the
plural form? If so, then please set me straight about why there's no
cholam. I suppose it is possible that the kamatz is an error, and that the
word really should be spelled with a cholam -- even I will admit that the
pronunciations are very similar and could be mistaken for one another. But
in this era of rampant correcting of our texts, I'm surprised that none of
those translators told their editor to correct the Hebrew side.

Any thoughts?

Thank you, and Gmar Chasima Tova!
Akiva miller