[Mesorah] Kimchi's rules

David and Esther Bannett dbnet at zahav.net.il
Wed Apr 17 01:16:30 PDT 2019

On 04/17/2019 05:22 AM, rabbirichwolpoe via Mesorah wrote:

> How do Teimanim handle the vowels?

Having a number of Teimanim in our minyan, and they read for themselves
when they get an aliya, I have a long experience with their pronunciation.

Their kamatz is a kometz, their cholam is a bit oyish but with the lips
scrunched up, and their segol is very much like a patach.
In some areas of Teiman, I believe its the south, the cholam is more
like a tzeireh, that is, more like a litvak than a galitzianer

BTW these Teimainim are bal'adi. I don't know whether the shami, who
have a different nusach t'fila, also have a different pronunciation.