[Mesorah] Kimchi's rules

Sholom Simon sholom at aishdas.org
Tue Apr 16 19:55:12 PDT 2019

When RSM was in Queens, he davened on Shabbos at a Teimoni minyan.  I went
there once with him.  I remember the following, regarding Teimoni
pronunciation:

1.  He pronounced the vav as a w
2.  The segol was pronounced like patach
3.  The kametz sounded like an "oh"

At our shul once, a Teimoni leyned, and his differences were:

1.  He pronounced a kametz very much like many Ashkenazi -- that sound that
was in between an "aw" and an "oh"
2.  He (like many sefardi) pronounced the tzeiri like a segol (unless it
was followed by a yud, in which case it was "ay")
3.  But he pronounced the segol like a patach
4.  This was the weirdest one: he pronounced the cholam like the "I" in the
english word "sit". (I *think* I'm remembering that correctly -- it was the
same as the vowel in either "sit" or "set").

I don't know if either was representative of general Teimoni
pronunciation.  Perhaps RSM can fill us in better.

-- Sholom