[Mesorah] P. Metzora 14:6 Hash'chutah

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Apr 15 13:59:41 PDT 2019

On Sun, Apr 14, 2019 at 02:00:54PM -0400, Akiva Miller via Mesorah wrote:
: I'm having trouble with the clause "The Masoretic text does not follow our
: rules of Diqduq". If I'm reading it correctly, then either the Masoretic
: text is wrong, or our rules of Diqduq are wrong. Which?

I am not clear on the comparison. The mesoretic text contains examples,
not rules.

And every rule for a language has exceptions. Add to that a text designed
with intentional oddities to support derashos (and, according to the
Raavad, even asmachatos) and you will have a lot of exceptions.

So, the question is whether the various "our rules of Diqduq", or to
consistently enough to be considered rules, where exceptions should be
considered noteworthy.

But I feel like we just started comparing apples and battle hymns.

The nearest I would think we have to mesoretic rules of diqduq is "Sefer
Diqduqei HaT'amim, which is attributed to R. Aharon ben Asher himself",
as RSM described it on this list in Apr 2001. At the time, he shared
Aharon Dotan's edition, which is still available at
<http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/faxes/dikdukeiHaTeamim.pdf>
(Except for the last page, which RSM included as proof of age, and just
for aesthetic reasons.)

Now, if you say the Radaq's rules contradict those, at least then we're
be grappling with two of the same kind.

Micha Berger             Man can aspire to spiritual-moral greatness
micha at aishdas.org        which is seldom fully achieved and easily lost
http://www.aishdas.org   again. Fulfillment lies not in a final goal,
Fax: (270) 514-1507      but in an eternal striving for perfection. -RSRH