[Mesorah] How widespread is ignorance of Hebrew?

Ira L. Jacobson laser at ieee.org
Sun Apr 14 23:56:12 PDT 2019

At 15:16 14-04-19  -0400, rabbirichwolpoe stated the following:

>Those are NOT proofs.
>As is well known, the yanuhu bah, bo, bam is something adopted from
>the Abudarham, IIRC.

So the versions do indeed have a good basis.  Not at all a bad proof.

"Mandel, Seth" <mandels at ou.org> stated the following:

 > You might as well argue that Shabbos can be plural.

Well, not if you note that the Minha text (often) has Shabb'tot
(occasionally Shabbatot) to go along with vam.  Shabbat does not go
grammatically with vam.  But far be it from me to refer to such usage
as ignorance.

BTW, I would certainly prefer that the word "ignorance" in the
Subject line be replaced.  And that the standard rules of
transliteration be employed.  (Academia or Library of Congress.)

Ira L. Jacobson

During General Grant's "Western Campaign," he
issued "General Order #11," which evicted all Jews
from his area of operations.
(NOT his finest moment)
mailto: laser at ieee.org