[Mesorah] How widespread is ignorance of Hebrew?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Apr 12 11:37:39 PDT 2019

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 06:02:38PM +0000, Mandel, Seth via Mesorah wrote:
: As far as my opening question: go not farther than the t'shuva of the Noda biYehudah about how to pronounce HaShem. He expresses astonishment at the question.  Apparently when he grew up everyone was taught it. But the world was changing: chasidus and Reform had just started, and the Jewish traditions of teaching and studying were falling to pieces.

The ghetto walls fell, the Jewish traditions could no longer be picked
up by osmosis from the Jewish Street, people relied more on teaching and
studying for things that used to be able to be taken for granted. Like
pronouncing the sheim H' in the NbY's day. Or the need for a full book
explaining to this generation what a kezayis is.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             We are what we repeatedly do.
micha at aishdas.org        Thus excellence is not an event,
http://www.aishdas.org   but a habit.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                   - Aristotle