[Mesorah] Two (obvious) questions on parshas bereshis - double trop and double arum

Danny Levy danestlev at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 10:29:58 PDT 2018

In the absence of direct evidence, to claim as Benner does that "at some
point in the ancient past the letter ghayin began to be written with the
letter ayin" is, I think, problematic to reconcile with an Orthodox
approach to Mesorah.

However, in his article Benner quotes Edward Horowitz who does not claim
this.  He writes that the same letter ayin had two different sounds. I find
that far more palatable.  It is also very credible considering the shin and
sin.

Danny Levy

‫בתאריך יום ג׳, 9 באוק׳ 2018 ב-21:36 מאת ‪Toby Katz via Mesorah‬‏ <‪
mesorah at lists.aishdas.org‬‏>:‬