[Mesorah] "P'nimiyus"

Toby Katz t613k at aol.com
Wed Jun 6 14:39:38 PDT 2018

Never heard licht-tzinden for Shabbos candles, only licht bentshen.  "Tzinden" would be used for lighting candles or a stove any time, or even turning on an electric light, not davka for Shabbos.

Bentsh-lecht is a verb and means light candles.  Did you bentsh lecht yet?  Did you light candles?
Licht-bentshen is a noun and means candle-lighting.  What time is licht-bentshen (or lecht-bentshing)?  What time is candle-lighting?

As for the original question, why the emphasis on the blessing rather than the lighting?  I'd say that in the olden days people lit candles every night for light.  Lighting candles wasn't the big deal, lighting candles /for Shabbos/ was the big deal.

--Toby Katz
t613k at aol.com

=============

______________________________
In a message dated 6/6/2018 5:09:37 PM Eastern Standard Time, mesorah at lists.aishdas.org writes:

 On 06/06/18 16:55, Art Werschulz via Mesorah wrote:
> On Jun 6, 2018, at 4:03 PM, Akiva Miller wrote:

>> I've always been bothered by the phrase "bentsch licht." Why is the
>> emphasis of the bracha, and not on the lighting?

> How about "licht-bentschen"?

I think you mean "licht-tzinden".

--
Zev Sero A prosperous and healthy 2018 to all
zev at sero.name Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper