[Mesorah] E'eseh

Michael Poppers michaelpoppers at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 08:06:55 PST 2018

Posting on behalf of a friend (bcc:ed):
---

In Shemot 3:20, some of my chumashim, including Koren and Simanim, have a
sheva under the ayin in e'eseh, while some have a chataf-segol. This is
arguably more than a very minor change in pronunciation, as the sheva is
clearly nach, so the two versions have the ayin in different syllables.
This disagreement over the vowelization of e'eseh can be found in a few
other places as well, though the only other one I can recall at the moment
is Bereishit 47:30. Now look at Shemot 6:1. All seven of my chumashim have
a chataf-segol under the ayin and none have a sheva.

I can understand those that always have a chataf-segol. But can someone
explain when/why you would sometimes have chataf-segol and sometimes a
sheva? I'm not sure I understand Minchat Shai on Bereishit 47:30, but I
think he is acknowledging a difference of opinion and saying sheva is
correct; however, he doesn't explain why, nor does he address this issue in
the other two pesukim I cited.

Also, are there other verbs with the same vowelization variants?

---
To his question, I would note that, FWIW, Koren has a *chataf-segol* for
the three in-Chumash instances of *e'evor* that I checked and that, AFAIK,
a *chataf-segol* is printed for the other *ayin-hapoal* future 1st-person
singular instances in TaNaCH.  I'm well-aware that most prints are not
scholarly, but I would like to know whether Minchas Shai considered Gen
47:30 an exception or, OTOH, felt/determined that all such instances should
be graced with a *shva nach* and didn't see a need to keep noting them....

All the best from *Michael*

Virus-free.
www.avg.com
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>