[Mesorah] Translation of the verb "yiv'al"

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 07:43:00 PST 2018

Sorry, you've all lost me.

To me, beis-ayin-lamed has always had the basic meaning of ownership,
mastery, perhaps leadership. I  can't imagine anyone arguing that the basic
root means anything else. This is certainly what it means in context of
ownership of slaves or objects, and I believe it is true in marriage too.

"Tashmish hamita" is a cute, coy euphemism, and by mentioning the privacy
of the bed, it has a romantic note to it. Forms of "zivug", directly
speaking about the couple as a pair, is even more so.

But bo'el and be'ilah are about acquisition and mastery. To modern society,
this reeks of political incorrectness, but that's society's problem, not
the Torah's. The husband is a ba'al; when this word is used, it is because
he has a specific role in this relationship - He and his wife are *not*
equal partners. Nothing romantic about it. (Personally, I like romance, so
I'm relieved that there are additional ways that Chazal describe the
relationship.)

I concede that RMB's pasuk from Yeshaya - children being masters of the
parents - is difficult. That's why we need to check the meforshim. But
where y'all saw the meforshim translating it as "living together", I see
them explaining the pasuk in context of *settling* *the* *land*. And in
that context, the mashal fits well: entering the land, taking control of
it, settling it, making it your own,  - don't these parallel the be'ila of
marriage?

Akiva Miller