[Mesorah] Fwd: שבת שבתון הוא או שבת שבתון היא

Zev Sero via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue May 9 12:08:35 PDT 2017

On 09/05/17 14:57, Sholom Simon via Mesorah wrote:

>     I was asked earlier today about an interesting repetition between
>     two pesukim with one significant difference. One appears in parshas
>     achrei (vayikra 16:31) and describes yom kippur as שבת שבתון היא,
>     and the other in parshas emor (vayikra 23:32) says שבת שבתון הוא
>     (pronounced hu).

> Nevertheless, why "hee" and "hoo" in those different psukim?

In Acharei, the subject is "chukah", which is feminine.  It's not so
obvious, but if you examine the pesukim carefully you'll see it.

In Emor the subject is either "`asor lachodesh" or "yom hakipurim", both
of which are masculine.  Again, you have to look closely to discern the
subject, and even after looking I'm left with two possibilities, but it
has to be one of them.

--
Zev Sero                May 2017, with its *nine* days of Chanukah,
zev at sero.name           be a brilliant year for us all