[Mesorah] exception to vavei haamudim

Zev Sero via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu May 4 12:46:16 PDT 2017

On 04/05/17 14:47, Nehemiah Klein via Mesorah wrote:
> In this morning's kriya the word "shnei" as in "shnei haseirim" appears
> on the top of an amud, it's not one of the six that make up "bekah
> Shmo",

Actually some say it is.  There's a machlokes which is the shin.
https://books.google.com/books?id=ocRWAAAAcAAJ&pg=PP171&lpg=PP171

> I always thought every amud begins with a vav except for "bekah
> Shmo".

Not really.  This is a thing some sofrim like to do, like "hamelech"
megillos, but it's not halacha at all, and not necessarily even a
well-founded minhag. The six words "bekoh shemo" *have* to be on top of
their pages; every other page can start with whatever the sofer's up to.
  (Not everyone even agrees that "bekoh shemo" is a requirement, but at
least some rishonim do rule that omitting these makes a sefer passul.
*Nobody* claims that for the vavim; the most anyone says for it is that
the Tziyoni says it's al pi sod.)

--
Zev Sero                May 2017, with its *nine* days of Chanukah,
zev at sero.name           be a brilliant year for us all