[Mesorah] L'Mircham Olay (in B'rich Shmeih)

elazar teitz via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Mar 22 16:57:11 PDT 2017

While it is certainly true that "z'mira" means pruning, it also means a
song -- Even Shoshan lists it as the singular form of "z'mirot."  I believe
the word is the word used when referring to a particular one of the z'mirot
on Shabbos; e.g., one asks, "Which z'mira shall we sing?"    It was this
sense of "z'mira" which RSeth Mandel used.

On the other hand, I believe that "zimra" does not mean "*a* song;" rather,
it is the collective "song," rather than a specific one.  It would have
been incorrect in the quote cited.  If one does not wish to use "z'mira" in
that quote, the alternative in current-day Hebrew is not "zimra,' but
"zemer."

EMT