[Mesorah] L'Mircham Olay (in B'rich Shmeih)

Zev Sero via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Mar 20 08:58:49 PDT 2017

On 20/03/17 11:43, Richard Wolpoe via Mesorah wrote:

> Artscroll translates this l'mircham as "that You have mercy"
> I have understood that in Aramaic l'ircham is to love‎.
> See Jastow p. 1467.
> As I read it Rocham in Hebrew is to have compassion on; to pity
> While in Aramaic it means to Love.

If it meant "to love me" it would be "lemircham yosi", not "olay".  One
does not "have love" about someone, one loves them directly.  "Lemircham
yos Hashem Elokoch."   Compassion is something one has *about* someone.

--
Zev Sero                May 2017, with its *nine* days of Chanukah,
zev at sero.name           be a brilliant year for us all