[Mesorah] Establishing the Masora: Preserving the Text of the Hebrew Bible and an OOPS

Dov Bloom via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Mar 22 01:49:20 PDT 2017

RW passed on information to the list about a lecture at YU by Dr Yosef Ofer
(Yossi Ofer to those who knew him before he was a Dr.). For those on a
different continent who are not familiar with the man or his work, he is in
my humble opinion the number 1 expert in the world on Mesorah (since the
passing of Rav Mordechai Breuer).
Some of his works include his monumental work on the Babylonian Massorah
(building on previous works by Yevin and Breuer, putting everything
important in one comprehensive book) published by Magnes.
Also the critical edition of the Minchat Shai (Torah) published by the
World Union of Jewish Studies (the listed author is Betzer and Ofer is
listed as "editor" but Betzer had passed away and it seems Ofer really
worked the book into shape).
 Ofer also has done excellent work on the Eretz-Yisrael "Sedarim" (which
the Tanchuma is based on, for instance) and the Haftorot to the Sedarim
(not 100% clear even to this day).
He also edited Lyons' fascinating book on The Cumulative Masora (published
by Ben Gurion U Press) and may have done here also a lot of work on the
book.
I found a list of a hundred or so publications of his here
https://faculty.biu.ac.il/~ofery/publications.html , 90% are in the field
of Masoretic Studies and the rest general Tanach and Parshanut.

In addition to his academic and profession work in the field of Masora
where he excells, I have seen him as a very good "populizer" , one who can
speak on an understandable level ( many academics cannot do this) to a
crowd who never heard of The Mesorah Gedola and the Mesorah Ktana, Ochlah
ve Ochla , the Cairo Codex or Eliyahu Bahur's Massoret HaMasoret.

He really doesn't need my recommendation, but I have the feeling he is not
well known in the US, so am "promoting" him to my associates on the list
who aren't in Israel.

now the OOPS: I just checked the date and I see that the lecture was
yesterday night, so I am writing this a day late. But what I wrote still
stands, people on our Mesorah list shold know about him, and maybe he will
give more lectures.

Did anyone attend? How was it? RW?

Dov Bloom

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 10:57 PM, Richard Wolpoe via Mesorah <
mesorah at lists.aishdas.org> wrote:

> https://tockify.com/bernardrevel/detail/14/1490137200000
>
> Establishing the Masora: Preserving the Text of the Hebrew Bible
> Tue Mar 21st 7:00pm
> Revel Lounge, 500 W 185th St, New York, NY 10033, USA
>

> The Bernard Revel Graduate School of Jewish Studies invites you to a
> lecture
>
> "Establishing the Masora: Preserving the Text of the Hebrew Bible"
>
> By Dr. Yosef Ofer

Dov A Bloom