[Mesorah] trop differences at the beginning of Sh'lach

Dov Bloom via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Jun 16 05:18:40 PDT 2017

IIRC it has to with length of words. The mercha before sofpasuk turns into
a tipcha if one of the last 2 words is a "longer word" . If the next to the
last word is a tipcha, it must be preceded by the zakef.
See Breuer 'Taamei Hamikra BeKafAlef Sefarim uvSifei Emet' pages 109-110.
Compare BeMIDBAR 3:21AND 3:33. These 2 psukim have near identical last 4
words: ele hem mishpahat haX. In the latter the last word is short, so
mercha tipha mercha sofpasuk. In the former verse the last word is long ,
so the change we described occurs and you get munach zakef mercha   sofpasuk

On Jun 16, 2017 14:41, "Sholom Simon via Mesorah" <mesorah at lists.aishdas.org>