[Mesorah] Query

Akiva Miller via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Sat Jun 3 19:41:11 PDT 2017

It looks to me like the spelling you have is: mem, patach, ayin, shva,
lamed, kamatz, heh. I am looking in my Mandelkern Concordance, page
877, and he seems to have that spelling only once, in Devarim 28:43.

My guess is that you are actually asking about this word with the
vav-kamatz prefiix, which does indeed occur often in the first four
prakim of Bmidbar.

I would imagine that a good Ashkenaz transliteration would be:
vo-ma-loh (where 'o' is however one would pronounce a kamatz) and
Sefard would be va-ma'-lah (where the apostrophe is however one might
pronounce the ayin).

Do you have a different pronunciation that brings up this question?

Akiva Miller