[Mesorah] mis-accentuation

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Dec 22 07:12:26 PST 2017

On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 02:17:59PM +0000, Mandel, Seth wrote:
: On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 3:46 PM, Mandel, Seth via Mesorah wrote:
:> Regarding the discussion about d'hiq, I think that I warned people
:> that those seeking certainly should drop this topic like a hot potato.
:> But for those stubborn people who are still interested, I am attaching
:> a couple of pages from Mahberet haTijaan, which is the Hebrew version of
:> an Arabic treatise on Hebrew and the Masorah, which is an ancient work,
:> probably going back to the 12th Century. It contains quotations from
:> ספר דקודי הטעמים, which Ben Asher himself wrote, and various things from
:> the time of the Geonim.

:> I copied 3 pages, the third is underneath the first. I have underlined
:> the relevant pasages. The author is talking about when B'GaD K'PaT have
:> a dagesh and when they are rafe, and says that with a m'sharet trop they
:> are rafe after a vowel, except for :Ogerah, P'siq, D'hiq, Ate Merahiq
:> and two similar letters.

:> I will comment some more later, b'n. But this is meant to show that
:> even hundreds of years ago they knew things that were going on, and had
:> different names for them.

: R. Micha, I am attaching it.. I know that the software for Mesorah
: and the other lists will strip off attachments, but I don't know how
: to make it available to everyone.

That's only the text digests, which is the norm for Avodah and Areivim.
Everyone here is in single-email mode, since we rarely get the traffic
that would warrant defaulting to digests.

So, people should have gotten the attachment. I did. I do not know
why Michael did not.

That said, given what you wrote, they may not have checked. So, I saved
it in Avodah's "faxes" folder (the name made sense in 1998!) at
<http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/faxes/machberethHaTijan78-80.jpg>

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             The thought of happiness that comes from outside
micha at aishdas.org        the person, brings him sadness. But realizing
http://www.aishdas.org   the value of one's will and the freedom brought
Fax: (270) 514-1507      by uplifting its, brings great joy. - R' Kook