[Mesorah] 'Tis Chanukka

Mandel, Seth mandels at ou.org
Wed Dec 20 11:13:03 PST 2017

I feel mostly sadness that my fellow Jews do not appreciate the sublimeness of the Masorah and its intricacies. And yes, some things grate on my ears.

These are not the only things.  A person who says "haTov ki lo CHOlu rachmekho" grates on my ears as well, and in that case is actually m'charef.  It can only mean either  "Your kindnesses do not apply" or "Your kindnesses were not appreciated/seen."

So why does vayeKHUlu disturb me more?

R. Michael said the answer: the stress is black on white in the Torah.  The trop shows it exactly.  Do not Jews look at the words in the Holy Torah?

As far as CHOlu goes, yes, it is clear in many siddurim that it should be choLU (including in Artscroll). But I do not blame people for not being so careful with the siddur and for not knowing basic Hebrew.  And fortunately/unfortunately, most Shlichei Tzibbur say the davening as fast as they possibly can, so if I do not listen carefully, I can just ignore all the mistakes.  But when someone says qiddush or makes the brokhos on neros chanukka I cannot.

Rabbi Dr. Seth Mandel