[Mesorah] mis-accentuation (was: 'Tis Chanukka)

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Dec 20 11:03:45 PST 2017

On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 01:21:25PM -0500, Michael Poppers via Mesorah wrote:
:> anyone have a tune for shir hamaalos before bircas hamazon with
:> some/any/most of the words can be pronounced correctly? <

: I do, but I don't use it very often :).

I heard that R' Avraham Elya's tune gained some currency in Yekkishe
circles. Sheet music for the beginning, from BeIqvos haYir'ah
<http://www.aishdas.org/raek/shirHaMaalos.GIF>, and a poorly
instrumented version played by a HS student of RYGB's
<http://www.aishdas.org/raek/sssss.mp3>

So, given your own cultural background, do you know the melody well
enough to know how well it preserves the diqduq?

(Since RAEK was the kind of person who paid a lot of attention to
girsa issues when learning gemara, I thought he could be a medaqdeiq
too.  <http://www.daat.ac.il/daat/kitveyet/beyt/16.doc>)

An enlightening and enjoyable Chanukah!

Micha Berger             It isn't what you have, or who you are, or where
micha at aishdas.org        you are,  or what you are doing,  that makes you
http://www.aishdas.org   happy or unhappy. It's what you think about.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                        - Dale Carnegie