[Mesorah] Rahbbee vs. Ribbi Danniyel 2:48

Mandel, Seth via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Apr 28 10:26:33 PDT 2017

There is also clear evidence from Mishnayot and other works from the time of Chazal that the form was rebbi (also the source of the traditional Yiddish title "reb," which is certainly derived from it.

That would solve a lot of issues, since an original "ribbi" wouid be pronounced "rebbi" in many areas (there is a whole article somewhere about all the places where the hiriq became an /e/ vowel, as in many punctuated Mishnayot where the name is vocalized Hellel, not Hillel).

And is would also explain "rabbi" as a back formation.

Rabbi Dr. Seth Mandel