[Mesorah] aleph with a dagesh

Mandel, Seth via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Apr 18 19:57:52 PDT 2017

And the word is also a q'ri and k'tiv.

The k'tiv is with an aleph at the end, and, as is standard i the mss., the vocalization is that of the q'ri written on the letters of the k'tiv.  So it is clear that the dagesh does not really belong to the aleph, but to the q'ri, which is a he, and the word is ufishreh, "its meaning," and the dagesh is what most call a mappiq.

Rabbi Dr. Seth Mandel