[Mesorah] A Critique of R Mordechai Breuer's Works

Mandel, Seth via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Jun 21 10:24:40 PDT 2016

I have not read the entire article.  But the whole point of Breuer's book is that if you take the best mss. , in most points where there is a difference you have an overwhelming majority on one side.  And if you take those cases, you end up with almost exactly the Aleppo Codex, its masoretic notes, and the material we find in Kitab alHulaf.  So we need not posit that there was ever one set of masoretic notes common to everyone.  And it goes without saying that mss. will differ one from another, and so you will never have 2 mss. that agree in everything.

Rabbi Dr. Seth Mandel