[Mesorah] Melo Khol Ha'aretz Kevodo

Zev Sero via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Jan 19 08:47:21 PST 2016

On 01/19/2016 10:32 AM, Micha Berger via Mesorah wrote:
> "Bonei" is the semichut, we shift to tzeirei not to change from "building"
> to builder" but to add the "of" for "of Y-m".

But we only do this for the noun, not for the  verb.   "Vayhi boneh `ir."

> Which then forces our
> hand, when translating into a language that does separate these parts
> of speech, to use "builder" -- "is building of Y-m / Y-m's is building"
> makes no sense. (Although you could say that Hashem is "Y-m's 'One Who
> is building'".)

On the contrary, it reveals that the "boneh" in this case was always a
noun rather than a verb, or it wouldn't have changed in smichut.

--
Zev Sero               All around myself I will wave the green willow
zev at sero.name          The myrtle and the palm and the citron for a week