[Mesorah] Birkos Hannehenin Dialect

Mandel, Seth via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Apr 13 11:08:34 PDT 2016

Relying on the old mss is not dogmatic, it is standard scholarly practice.   If they all agree, then that was minhag Yisroel, and any grammarian who thinks he knows better than the ancient sources is committing a grievous methodological error (unfortunately, there were a lot if them, and just see what R Yaakov Emden had to say about some in L'shon Eres).
Feel free to make up your own rules and change the text. You will just be violating what Chazal say about changing the nusach.
I confirm that trying to establish the correct nusach is very difficult. But the only way is by studying the oldest mss. and classifying them, not by developing your own theory if what they should be.

Rabbi Seth Mandel
Sent from my iPhone