[Mesorah] Maseches Sofrim, Sefer Hahilukim, dating

Dov Bloom via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Apr 14 12:18:28 PDT 2016

RW quotes (a modern commentator I never heard of? ) who mentions  there is
a list of Hillukim between EY and Babel in the end of Yam Shel Shlomo.
Definitely true,  and pretty well known,  the Hillukim are not an obscure
compilation by any means.

The best edition I know of is Mordecai Margaliot's edition,  of Sefer
Hahilukim,  ( though I don't agree with everything he writes on every
single note) .  His edition is based on a few kitvei yad + geniza sources,
not just the YSS.  The whole Hillukim is short,  the notes in Margaliot's
edition make it worth it.

You can access the sefer Hahillukim online at:
http://www.hebrewbooks.org/38651

I had occasion,  in a recent shiur I gave,  to deal with  hilluk
mem-zayin,  which  states that the EY community read the EY seder on
shabbat,  but privately read the Babel parasha.

Dr.  Shmuel Mirsky of YU (Revel) ,  wrote an excellent  article in Sura
number 3 (1952?) about the Midrash Tanchuma. I believe he is incorrect
where he tries to prove,  based on the Hillukkm and other sources,  that
the annual Bavli Torah Reading predates the EY triennial reading. I feel
that the Mishnayot and Gemara show that the EY system is older.  And the
Hillukim reflect a later,  Rishonim or a bit earlier time.

But you are talking about 2-3-4-5 century sources in the gemara,  while the
Hillukim are at best geonic and I believe  post - geonic times,  still well
before the Yam Shel Shlomo.

(Prof.  Margaliot is better known for his publishing Midrash Hagadol,
Mossad Harav Kook,  and his edition of Vayikra Rabba.  Do not confuse with
R Reuven Margaliot. )
https://he.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/מרדכי_מרגליות
On Apr 14, 2016 9:08 PM, "Richard Wolpoe via Mesorah" <