[Mesorah] Pinechas vs Pinchas (in Avodah Digest, Vol 33, Issue 95)

Mandel, Seth via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Jul 7 07:08:17 PDT 2015

It should be noted that how Pinechas was read according to the Masorah is not really relevant to the way it was pronounced as a name.  Pinchas is a Yiddish name (to be sure, with its roots in Hebrew), and is pronounced without a het and without a sh'wa.  Its pronunciation in Hebrew is no more relevant than is the proper pronunciation of the word gannav (theif) in the T'NaKh to the pronunciation of the Yiddish word ganef.

Rabbi Dr. Seth Mandel
Rabbinic Coordinator
The Orthodox Union
11 Broadway, New York, NY  10004