[Mesorah] Yid-mu vs Yi-demu

Mandel, Seth via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Jan 30 09:37:05 PST 2015

It is a justifiable question, but that is the rule in Hebrew: for a geminate root, there has to be doubling (signified by a dagesh). Theoretically, this should not apply at the end of a word: the "original" future of the root s-b-b would be yasov, because one cannot double the letter at the end of a word.  But the importance of the doubling is such that in Hebrew (not in Arabic or other Semitic languages), they kept doubling, but put it on the previous letter.  So the normal future of s-b-b- is yissov, and sometimes the plural form is made on the basis of that, as it was here.