[Mesorah] Yid-mu vs Yi-demu

Mandel, Seth via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Jan 30 06:55:21 PST 2015

Not unless you correct people for pronouncing ‘atta without the ‘ayin.  Since the sh'wa in English is not phonemic, English speakers do not care about its pronunciation (see all the people who say brokho, as it is in Yiddish, or brakha, even though everyone knows it should be b'rokho.  And so it falls into the category of the Beishanim in the g'moro.  We allow such people to daven in their own kehilla.
My rebbe, RYBS, was careful about all the sh'was and the accents on the words, even though he could not pronounce the ‘ayins.  But he noted that that was because he had been trained that way by his father, and that other than Briskers, most Jews in Europe were sloppy about where the accent goes on a word and sh'was.  And אני הקטן agree with what he said: people should be encouraged to pronounce things correctly, but should not be publicly embarrassed for not doing so.
If someone says Shiras haYam and says yidmu, you should try to educate them afterwards, IMHO, because they are just doing what most Ashk'nazim do, whether in America or EY.