[Mesorah] Shaarei Yashar or Shaarei Yosher?

Zev Sero via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Aug 24 10:13:23 PDT 2015

On 08/24/2015 12:13 PM, Ben K wrote:
> Interesting. I agree, "gates that lead to honesty" is a better
> translation than "upright gates".

Why do you translate "yosher" here as "honesty"?   In what way does
this gate lead to honesty?  It's not a mussar sefer.  It seems to me
far more likely that "yosher" is meant here literally; the sefer
teaches the student how to think straight.

On 08/24/2015 12:29 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
> More precisely, honesty's gate, like my back yard's gate. Without
> needing to insert a "lead to".

But that is an ambiguous construction.  We are distinguishing here
between three separate possible meanings of "X's gate", so it's vital
to be clear on what sense is meant.  In this case, neither "gates
belonging to X", i.e. the author, nor "gates intended for X", i.e.
the reader, but "gates leading to X", i.e. the subject.

On 08/24/2015 01:06 PM, Yisrael Dubitsky wrote:
> The author clearly writes in his introduction that he is publishing
> his hidushim as a memorial to his parents zl: yitshak shemuel and
> rachel, the combined rashei teivot of which is yod. shin.resh. (and,
> he clearly states as well that the letters also include his own name.
> so so much for the anti-humility proponents).

It's not arrogant to use his initials in the title; many such sefarim
explicitly refer to the author.  What would be arrogant would be to
refer to himself as "yashar".

>there is no vavimagined in the spelling.

Of course not; who suggested there was?

--
Zev Sero               I have a right to stand on my own defence, if you
zev at sero.name          intend to commit felony...if a robber meets me in