[Mesorah] Shaarei Yashar or Shaarei Yosher?

Zev Sero via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Aug 24 08:03:17 PDT 2015

On 08/24/2015 10:38 AM, Ben K wrote:
> Here too, it means "upright gates."

No, I don't think it does.  Titles of this form almost always mean
"the gates that lead to X".  Here it means that if you pass through
these  gates you will learn how to think straight.

But I don't see how you can dismiss the possibility that it is indeed
"Shaarei Yashar", either meaning the gates through which a straight
person will pass, or the gates belonging to a straight person, i.e.
the author.

For what it's worth, I reviewed dozens of titles of this form on
hebrewbooks.com, and found that in the overwhelming majority,
something like 90%, X referred to what the gates lead to, while
in all the rest X referred to the author.  I didn't find any in
which X referred to the reader; but that's no reason why a person
couldn't use it in that way.

--
Zev Sero               I have a right to stand on my own defence, if you
zev at sero.name          intend to commit felony...if a robber meets me in