[Mesorah] Shaarei Yashar or Shaarei Yosher?

Zev Sero via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Aug 24 05:17:35 PDT 2015

On 08/24/2015 05:32 AM, Micha Berger via Mesorah wrote:
> Which is it -- if Rav Shimon named his seifer grammatically correctly
> (not a given) did he name it Shaarei Yosher or Shaarei Yashar?

It seems to me that the natural and obvious pronunciation of those
letters is "yashar", so the fact that the sefer is known as "yosher",
a far less obvious pronunciation, proves that it is the correct one.

Also, most titles of seforim in the form "shaarei X" describe what
the gates lead to, rather than the person who uses them.  It's more
likely that this title conforms to that model than that it doesn't.
(I dismiss the third possibility, that "yashar" refers to the author,
since that would be the opposite of humility.)

--
Zev Sero               I have a right to stand on my own defence, if you
zev at sero.name          intend to commit felony...if a robber meets me in