[Mesorah] Hallel

Richard rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Mon May 5 10:54:25 PDT 2014

Akiva:

«So, yes, it may happen that someone will change the currently accepted text of some pasuk somewhere, to a text currently not in vogue. Why not? How many Ashkenazim said "morid hagEshem" 50 years ago? It's a small step from that to changing a text. Even easier, perhaps, since you only need to convince the sofrim, not the general masses.»

The questions I still have are
1. Are these changes academic or l'maaseh

And
2. What's the target? What's the end game

If the target is ancient authenticity, then lich'ora why not include EG [in no particular order]

A. Dead Sea Scrolls
B. Geniza Fragments
C. Rashi's version
D. Septuagint?

If it's a Halachic change, then why not accept the decisions of EG Minchas Shai, that have been nispasheit as Minhag Yisroel? And we can see that our current version of Hallel spans both S'farad and Ashkenaz.