[Mesorah] Hallel

Richard rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Sun May 4 14:56:46 PDT 2014

And now back to the original question: as others have already noted, including my superior R DB, there is now no longer any question about the words according to the original Massorah: both mill'ra and a dagesh in the nun of the following word. Not only because that us the way it is in the Aleppo codex, but because it is that way in the other old codices, such as the Leningrad.
However, the situation was ripe for misunderstanding and "corrections" by grammarians: »

Maybe because the Grammarians presumed an error had befallen the old Mansucripts.

True, all of the oldest ones we know have X.  But maybe X was deemed so problematic that they presumed it should have been X'.

EG Rashi corrected many manuscripts of the Talmud.  His emendations soon became so normative that the original girsa'os are often unknown.