[Mesorah] Admin: What's with "From: ... via Mesorah"?

Micha Berger via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri May 9 09:29:14 PDT 2014

There has been a recent change to Mesorah emails.

An email from me to Mesorah used to say:
From: Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org>
To: Mesoretic Text, Nusach haTefillah and Dikduk <mesorah at lists.aishdas.org>

But now it's:
From: Micha Berger via Mesorah <mesorah at lists.aishdas.org>
     Mesoretic Text, Nusach haTefillah and Dikduk <mesorah at lists.aishdas.org>

This is because Yahoo changed their policy in late April that they will
not deliver mail whose "From:" line says ther sender is at some well-known
email server when in reality it came from a different computer.

So, email from "chaver at gmail.com" wouldn't but was forwarded by our
email list server wouldn't reach Yahoo users in single-email mode.
(Digests are made by and sent from @aishdas.org, so that wasn't a problem.)

Now all email is "From: ... via Mesorah <mesorah at lists.aishdas.org>"
and so it all flows. The Reply-to was changed to contain the real address,
so that a reply will go to the real author in addition to the list. (You can
then delete either, depending on who you want to send to.

We also had a few long-suffering AOL/AIM substribers who had intermittant
gaps in reception the page year or two; this appears to solve their problem
as well.

:-BBii!

micha at aishdas.org        3 weeks and 3 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Tifferes sheb'Netzach: When does domination or
Fax: (270) 514-1507        taking control result in balance and harmony?