[Mesorah] ZV"D

Sholom Simon via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Dec 9 11:22:22 PST 2014

I realize I am in way over my head (and, R' Micha, feel free to
bounce this back to Avodah, or wherever it should go)

I should have done this beforehand, but I looked at Jastrow, and it
refers ZV"D to ZY"D, where he simply lists two definitions.  He also
gives a reference to Sanhedrin (69a, around 8 lines from the top)
which brings up this very issue.

The Gemara takes the pasuk from Shemos 21:14 ("V'chi yazid
ish..."  "if a man acts intentionally") and then interprets the verse
energetically, suggesting a meaning derived from "cook".  "Mai
mashma" that it can mean cook?  Then it points to the pasuk we
started with "Yaakov cooked a dish..."

I have no idea where this leads us: might it be the same shoresh with
two different meanings?  (And, if so, I still want to ask: if
"yazid", even while meaning "plan" has a connotation of cooking, sort
of -- is it that unreasonably for yazid (cook) to have a connotation
of planning, when the Torah could have used B-SH-L.  I realize, as R
Micha pointed out, this doesn't exactly fit the standard narrative
quite so easily).

(It also occurred to me that, in English, "prepare" has the same two,
somewhat, similar meanings: one can "prepare" a dish/meal, and one
can "prepare" (i.e., plan) one's actions).

FWIW,

-- Sholom