[Mesorah] Tizku vs Tizki

Kenneth Miller kennethgmiller at juno.com
Sun Jun 23 05:28:59 PDT 2013

R' Micha wrote:

> When someone in shul I think would/might appreciate nitpickiut
> gives me a "shkoiach", I thank them for the berakhah that I
> forget life's hard times.

Good one! I had to read this several times until I realized you were "interpreting" the shoresh to be shin-kaf-ches.

and:

> 1- My natural tendency not to conform.
> 2- I prefer actions that provoke thought. Someone surprised to
> hear "tiskeh/i lemitzvos" is likely to pause and register what
> the words mean. Rather than just an empty greeting ritual. How
> seriously does shamayim take a berakhah rattled off ritually
> with no kavanah content?

My personal practice, for the very same two reasons, is that if I sneeze, and someone says "Gobleshu", I'll sometimes answer "Amen!"

BTW, speaking of nitpickiut, when you wrote "tiskeh/i", that was a typo, and should've be ""tizkeh/i", right? Or is the shoresh something other than zayin-kaf-heh, and I'm missing it?

Akiva Miller