[Mesorah] Tizku vs Tizki

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Jun 21 07:07:39 PDT 2013

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 09:42:12AM -0400, Art Werschulz wrote:
: The Birnbaum mahzor gives a singular (tikateiv v'teihateim) and a plural (tikateivu v'teihateimu) version at the end of the Evening Service for Rosh Hashanah (pg. 47).

The Rama, quoting the Tur only has "Leshanah tovah teikhaseiv". (OC 582:9)
The MA quotes the PMG and the Machatzis haSheqel that it's "teikhaseiv
vesakhaseim" (but then only on the first 3 hours of RH as per "le'alter"),
the MB (s"q 25) mentions "tikhtivei". The plural isn't even the earliest
recorded matbeia. Doesn't stop many from arguing (at least, in personal
experience, many have "corrected" me) that we should keep greetings in
the plural despite the actual context's proper grammar.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             Strength does not come from winning. Your
micha at aishdas.org        struggles develop your strength When you go
http://www.aishdas.org   through hardship and decide not to surrender,
Fax: (270) 514-1507      that is strength.        - Arnold Schwarzenegger