[Mesorah] Paam...

Mandel, Seth mandels at ou.org
Fri Sep 14 06:49:15 PDT 2012

There are usually no good proofs in developments of meanings; BDB and everyone else.  However, a connection does not seem to be so hard to me.  The base meaning might be something like "step" (which is also an attested meaning in Hebrew).  From "taking a step," it is not very hard to the meaning "once, twice, X times).  It is also not far to the meaning of "foot" (not the anatomical one necessarily, but in the sense of "a foot of a chair/table etc."
After one gets used to the attested changes of meanings in languages like English, where we know a lot about the history,, which sometimes are m'rafeinigra (or, more correctly, m'rafsin igg'ra), this is easy.

Rabbi Seth Mandel
Rabbinic Coordinator
The Orthodox Union
11 Broadway, New York, NY  10004