[Mesorah] Davening: Pesach vs. Hag Hammatzos

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Thu Mar 15 13:52:04 PDT 2012

RRW asked: <<< Q1:  Is Pesach L'shon Hazzal for the Holiday >>>

Yes, that seems pretty obvious. I don't recall a single place in Chumash where "Pesach" refers to the week-long holiday. It means the 14th, and the 14th only.

I'd love to suggest that Chazal adopted the name "Pesach" for the week-long holiday as a Zecher L'Churban of sorts. But I suspect (from the Mishna "Arvei Pesachim") that is was already in use before the Churban.

<<< Q2:  Is there a reason that the liturgy seems to favor L'shon Tanach over L'shon Hazzal for the Amidah for example? >>>

Yes, surely there must be a reason. But I can't say definitively that I know what the reason is.

But, thinking aloud: If the siddur is so clearly using Lashon Tanach in this case, perhaps that demonstrates that we should ALWAYS be using Lashon Tanach?

Akiva Miller