[Mesorah] New Shtick

R. Rich Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 08:37:31 PST 2012

«WRT tefillah, the line between "aggadic concepts" and halachic ones is
even blurier, since kavanah is part of the mitzvah, and therefore having words that better fit your derekh's teachings has more weight than in the general case of minhag vs aggadah (including minhag vs Zohar, vs Lurianic Qabbalah, vs Chassidus, or whatever).»

S'phardim, Yekkes, the GRA and R Y Kaminetsky seem to weight dikduk heavily

Some may see revisions al pi dikduk as "Haskalah"-driven, others may see it as simply purifying the text from various Errors.

A Young Lady at the YU book sale asked me about "Erchin"

I said this is strange. Most Young Ladies are from MO or RZ communities who use the term "Arachin". Yeshiva types who prefer Erchin, usually disdain Talmud for women.

So now what.

Do we accept [except?] A leining such as

V'SHOMru ... Es haSHabb's
As Minhag Avos?

Or do we expect

V'shomRU .. Es hashaBBOS instead - due to "better dikduk"

So is improving Dikduk over the old-fashioned Yiddish-style laining a good change?

Shalom and Regards, RRW