[Mesorah] New Shtick

R. Rich Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 08:01:50 PST 2012

«Has anyone noticed that recently some shuls have had the haftarah read from teh side of the bimah?»

If the hakpadah Is having one's back to the Torah
And if
The Bimah is NOT raised
And if
The Torah is being held behind the Bimah

Then
How can the people in front of the Bimah sit facing forwards during the Haftarah?
Or sit during Y'kun Purqan?

If the hakpadah is on the reading of Haftara facing front while the Torah is out
Then
What's the problem?  All he's doing is showing that the Haftarah needs to show deference to the Torah. A hakpadah that is absent EG during the reading of the m'gillos.

IIRC Sh'eirith Israel seats no one in front or behind the Bimah.

This has seemed intuitively obvious to me for decades and I thank the chevra for pushing me to actually list the logic behind it.
Shalom and Regards, RRW