[Mesorah] New Shtick

Jeremy Rosenbaum Simon jeremy.simon at nyu.edu
Fri Feb 24 06:54:01 PST 2012

Yes, having one's back to the torah is often given as the reason. (The
other one I have heard is that it is so people will realize that the
Haftarah is not being read from a klaf.) But the problem with that claim
is, in shuls that read the haftarah from the side, I have never seen the
ba'al musaf read from the side, and he steps right in to the same place, in
front of the torah (if the torah is indeed right there.) Also, why has this
become popular in just the last few years?
Jeremy