[Mesorah] FW: Looking for Common Denominators

Mandel, Seth mandels at ou.org
Wed Feb 22 07:12:27 PST 2012

I will point out that this summary is obviously done by a chareidi.
Although he excoriates R. Zalman Henau and R. Yitzchok Satanover, based on the fact that they themselves were not accepted by many of the O. establishment of their time, he comments on the siddur of R. Shabb'sai Sofer and the Vilner siddur "Derekh Siah haSadeh" that they "corrected many errors."  I.e. they changed the nusach to correct what were considered errors.  At that time, it was accepted that Biblical Hebrew rules should apply to later Hebrew as well, and so many of the things that were considered errors then are now known to be correct and standard forms in L'shon Hazal.
The claim that mss. were full of errors is not generally true with regard to siddurim.  It has much more validity regarding the mss. of most works, where the sofer might not understand or understand incorrectly a girsa, and so change it as a correction.  This is equally true of the mss. of the Rambam's "siddur" in Mishneh Torah or R. S‘adya Ga’on etc.  But for the most part the siddurim the sof'rim were producing reflected their own nusach, the nusach of the community where they lived, and so what mistakes that are present are mostly dittography or haplography or metasthesis, which are easy to recognize.